It's a chilly, blustery day here in Eastern NC, a perfect day to revamp a pair of old rain boots. Now that I've made several pairs of duct tap rain boots I thought I would give some tips and tricks I've learned along the way.
1. Choose a busy print for your duct tape...the crazier the better. (My personal faves are cheetah and zebra print!)
2. Start at the bottom and work your way up. When you do the toe, stretch the duct tape around, you will notice as it goes toward the top of the shoe that the tape wants to fold. Instead of folding it cut two slits in it, fold the sides down, then fold down the middle.
3. Whenever the tape wants to crease, cut a slit in it so it can go whichever way it wants. Just like a dart in sewing, a slit in the duct tape helps you create a shape that you can't achieve with a flat piece of tape.
4. If the tape does crease, and it will, smooth it down with a penny. That will make the crease much smaller and less noticeable.
5. This is the most important one...HAVE FUN! Don't worry about trying to keep the strips of tape even, that is why you chose a crazy print in the first place.